Monday, February 22, 2016

Monday is back to the village day here in Guatemala- and we can't wait to be back with our new friends there. After another incredible breakfast, Paul Hendriksma led us in devotions. He challenged us to strengthen our relationship with Christ and with each other. Once in the village, we (Sam and I) had the privilege to assist the VBS. What a gift it was to be with these children today. Juan Marcos preached a story about Jesus and the 12 disciples and then there was a craft that followed the story. We sat on the street side for all of this. After awhile, I noticed two older boys watching from a distance. They were teenagers, and were too old (and maybe too cool) to participate. With the Spirit's urging, Sam and I pulled a soccer ball from our bag, and with Juan Marcos translating, went over and spoke to the boys.  We found out their names were Charlie and Freddy, and were members of the neighborhood church. They were grateful for the ball, and started kicking it around right away. We serve a gracious God who gives us these amazing opportunities. These are just a few examples of many that happen daily for everyone here serving in Guatemala. God is good!

Adam and Sam Jager

Hello from sunny Guatemala.  Writing on this blog is another of many first for me over the past several days. Guatemala is full of sights, sounds and smells that only can be experienced if you come here.  This morning after a devotional that reminded us we are created to work and serve to the glory of our God, most of us were off to do just that in the village.  I tried to help build a home but was excited when I was invited to join the VBS team again.  The children of this pleasant little village are so adorable with their big brown eyes, colorful dress and dusty little feet. They are so easy to love. Not all are sure of of us when we try to engage with them and it takes a few tries before they trust us .  One small girl hugged her craft package tightly to her purple shirt and shook her head no every time I tried to help her.  She even said no to crayons because it would mean she had to let the craft go.  But, when I came back to her I found out the Linda got her to take a crayon and she picked purple.  On Friday I drew pictures with another girl and she remembered me even though I didn't come on Saturday and she brought me a picture of a chicken that she drew.  Esther is a girl who I met today as we started her new home this morning. I introduced her to some ladies who started at a different house and she smiled. Then, at Bible school every time she saw me she gave me a hug.  Gina got out bubble and she and I blew many bubble until the children ask to do it.  We bounced balloons and gave out toys.  I have to say it was very fun to hear their giggles.  The other members of our group went over to the feeding center and will share that tomorrow.   Continued prayers are always appreciated.  

To God Be The Glory,
Cindy De Kraker           



Hey there people of Michigan,

My heart goes out to the people of Guatemala, they can be the most loving, generous, and kind people. They do not have very much, but they let Gods light shine through in the way that they work, the way that they give, and the way that they trust and rely fulling on God... All the houses that we are building this week are within walking distance and the kids are starting to call us by name as we walk through the village streets from house to house. Relationships are being built and growing stronger everyday with the people of Guatemala. God is truly blessing this team! I am glad to be a part everything that is happening here in Guatemala, and I cannot wait to bring home what we are learning here back to Michigan.

God bless,
       Miah Grassmid




No comments:

Post a Comment