Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Francisco-The Eye Opener

        Dedication day is always the hardest for me, having to leave the place that changed me and blessed me in so many ways is so difficult. After the all the hard work and sweat and a little bit of blood(Dellen), this was it. We built 12  houses and built countless memories with the team and the villagers. The love the people showed was overwhelming and always moves me. We started the day with a wonderful breakfast from from amazing cooks. Teddy gave devotions and even had to bring a Alabama BCS National Championship shirt with him. We headed out to the village to put a few fronts on and finish things up with the houses. Dedications were emotional and eye opening as always. The one that stuck out the most to me was the last one we did. The family consisted of a mother and father, 3 daughters and 2 sons. The reason it stuck out the most to me was because of a little boy I got to build a relationship with earlier in the week.
          Francisco is 4 years old and is the cutest boy you'll ever meet. Immediately the first time I saw him he came running up to me and without thinking i picked him up and hoisted him on my shoulders. I had never met him before but the connection was real. The way he looked into my eyes I knew right then and their that God is real, he was looking me straight in the face and saying this is what you are called to do, love this little boy and just be a friend. Francisco had know idea how much of an impact he had made on me, that little boy at only 4 years old had made me feel so small at 6'2, I had never felt so small in my life, but he chopped me right off at the knees and made me realize that what God calls us to do, it can be the littlest things we just have to be open our eyes.

                                                                                                                 -Seth Harkema

No comments:

Post a Comment